How would you react if your friend found out she was pregnant?
She may be scared, and she needs to know she’s not alone. She needs to know she can and will get through this, and you will be with her to help along the way.
Here are some tips to helping your friend, family member, or girlfriend know she’s not alone:
What To Do:
- Ask her how she’s feeling about the situation and listen for ways to help. Sometimes, the best way to help is to just be with her.
- Offer to help her tell her parents, the child’s father, or anyone else who needs to know she’s pregnant. You might be able to help her think through who to tell and when.
Learn where she could get help during her unplanned pregnancy. She has options, and there are organizations who can help. You can find those at Hope’s Place and on OptionLine.org and even help her make an appointment.
What Not to Do:
- Don’t shame her. She may already be feeling guilt, embarrassment, or shame. Be a safe person for her. Stay positive and encouraging!
- Don’t pressure her. Even if you know what you would do if you were in her shoes, she is the one who needs to decide what to do. She has choices to make, and she needs to know you’ll be with her even if she makes a different choice than you would.
- Don’t cut her off. Most women in an unplanned pregnancy already feel alone. She needs to know you’ll stay with her – and keep listening to her – no matter what.
Have More Questions?
Do you still have questions? Please contact us. We’re here to help and support you!